Friday, June 09, 2006

When did we stop playing?

Ever seen kids at play? It's the most wonderful thing to behold. They immerse themselves completely into their make-belief world. A kid puts on a mask and instantly acquires superpowers. Give a kid a box of matches and you've got 50 redheaded sailors in a spaceship destined for Mars. (Or one fucked-up insurance hazard if you're bringing up my illegitimate offspring.)
Why did we stop playing? When did life become boring? At what point did we stop imagining galaxies far beyond the boundaries of our narrow shitty little lives? Why did we become afraid and ashamed of the one thing that carries our salvation?

To do my reputation right I'm probably supposed to say something about titties. But I'm not. the problem we face today is not that we don't follow Allah's rules. (And no... killing people will not make God happy, unless you're worshipping a demon.) It's not that we don''t have morals... we've got more than enough morals. It's not pollution... it's not dolphins.. it's not armaments.. it's not Tony Blair, George Bush, Balkenende or Maggy Thatchers ghost....

The problem is that we forgot how to play.

Now get nekkid and watch me act like a human towel-rack.

5 Comments:

At 4:59 AM, Blogger Hagis said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, Bulb.

And I think you have a very good point about playing and especially, playing nekid. When my kids were little, I'd encoureage them to run around neked and now all their baby pictures are nekid ones. They asked me if was too poor to buy clothes.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Rain said...

Good thoughts. I think it's why we look for hobbies or artist outlets, but even those are too organized.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sit and watch my kids play alot..It amazes me the imagination and totally absorbtion that takes over them. I try to play with them, but apparently I'm not that good cuz they gripe :p

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger fineartist said...

Hey towel boy, we still play, probably not as often as is healthy, (some more often than is healthy) and probably we have lost some of our imaginations capabilities, but sometimes we play.

We play every time we bend down to look into the face of a child or pet, and gush ridiculous drivel...

We play every time we find ourselves in front of a mirror with a hairbrush/microphone, singing our off key, crappy pitched hearts out....

We play when we parade around nude with only a towel placed strategically over our protruding parts....

We play when we act silly and dizzy and don't really give two hoots in hell what anyone else thinks....(I believe that this is the key really, to be comfortable enough with yourself and your motives to just not give a rats rear....

We play when we allow ourselves to play, when we forget to be so full of ourselves and responsible, when we remember who we are deep in our souls, and we play when we love.

x's and o's and here's to human towel racks...Lori

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Sassy said...

I got tired of playing by myself. It's no fun being the only child around. And i never even made up an imaginary friend! Dammit...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home